st michael & all angels

Contact: Churchwarden E: lingenweb@gmail.com

Services are usually every 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month at 9.30am.

Parish magazine: ten monthly issues delivered to your letterbox @ £6 per annum or you can purchase a one off copy at 60p from the rear of the Church.


About -   Lingens present day church stands in the centre of the village, set in the churchyard and shaded by mature horse chestnut trees.  Built of stone, the church has a long history dating back to the 13th century when the original church was built.  The original building fell into disrepair and as reported in the Hereford Times in 1891, was replaced by a new church about the reign of James II, much of the old masonry being kept.  Little or nothing remained of the earlier building after pulling down the 17th century church.  Some oak had been retained from the latter, but otherwise only the tower was left which had been rebuilt some sixty years before.

The stone for rebuilding the church was quarried from the nearby Harley estate at Brampton Bryan and the cost of rebuilding was £1500.  On 22 April 1891 the Bishop of Hereford rededicated the church and it was recorded that much of the original masonary and fittings was kept.

An architectural description of the time states that the west tower dating back to the 17th century was built of local rubble and of two stages with a modern roof.  The ground stage has a loop-light in the north, south and west walls.  The roof of the naive is described as modern but incorporates the old chamfered tie-beams.

Fittings retained from the earlier church include a 13th century font and a piscina, situated in the santuary, two 14th century bells - the first uninscribed, the second inscribed 'Sancta Maria ora pro nobis' - and a sanctus.

The Communion table is thought to be early to mid 17th century.  Retained were a monument on the north wall of the chancel to John Downes dated 28th May 1687 and  the nineteen 16th century pews were retained too.